Unfortunately, it’s that time of year again… winter. Winter means snow and dangerous driving conditions. The below is from a series of articles available to Community Insurance Group’s commercial lines clients.
Five Winter Driving Tips
No one knows how to handle large vehicles in inclement weather better than snow plow operators. The safety precautions these drivers take are appropriate for drivers of any sized vehicle driving on snowy and icy roads.
Regardless of the type or size of your fleet, consider these following five tips from County Road Commission snow plow operators:
1. Aim high in steering. Hold the vehicle steering wheel at the 2- and 10-o’clock positions. This allows the driver to keep total control of the vehicle, especially during evasive maneuvering.
2. Get the big picture. Look far enough down the road to see hazards before you arrive. This helps you spot problems ahead and on either side of you.
3. Keep your eyes moving. Don’t lock onto any one item for too long. Keep scanning from side to side to identify changing conditions.
4. Leave yourself an out. Don’t box yourself into a poor situation as you travel. Try to keep other drivers out of your blind spots.
5. Make sure they see you. You can generally spot a large vehicle from a great distance. To help make sure they see you, keep your lights and beacons working at all times. Take extra precaution by lightly tapping on the horn to make eye contact with the driver.
In addition, drivers are encouraged to:
- Use the three-point contact method when entering and exiting vehicle cabs.
- Wear a seat belt at all times.
- Walk around the vehicle to check side mirrors and lights.
- Make the necessary vehicle adjustments before getting on the road.
About Community Insurance Group
Community Insurance Group is one of the largest independent insurance agencies in West Central Ohio with offices located in Sidney, Minster and Fort Loramie. We serve clients throughout Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Community Insurance Group takes pride in offering a wide range of insurance carriers and products, and works hard to create a successful and viable resource our communities can depend on. We specialize in Agribusiness and Farms, Contractors, Energy Dealers, Manufacturers, Trucking, Underground Storage Tanks, Emergency Service Organizations and Volunteer Fire Departments.