High winds and driving rain are the two most common sources of damage during windstorms, hurricanes and tornadoes. When a storm threatens your area:
- Secure any objects outside your house that may become flying debris in heavy winds.
- Watch or listen to local weather reports for updates, evacuation orders and shelter information. Evacuate as early as possible, especially if your area is flood-prone.
- If you stay in your house during the storm, find a sheltered area away from doors, windows and any glass items.
- Move your family emergency kit to an accessible area of your home and educate all family members about what’s inside.
- Place any valuables, jewelry and important documents in a safe location.
- Lower levels will flood first and cause extensive damages. If possible, relocate personal belongings and valuables to higher levels.
After the storm, protect your property
Once it’s safe, assess any damage to your home. If a storm has damaged the outside of your home or exposed any part of the interior, take steps to protect it from more damage. This may mean making temporary repairs until a professional can help.
Your safety is most important. Please do not attempt potentially dangerous repairs.
Report a homeowner claim
Report a homeowner claim once you’ve safely secured your home from more damage.
About Community Insurance Group
Community Insurance Group is one of the largest independent insurance agencies in West Central Ohio with offices located in Sidney, Minster and Fort Loramie. We serve clients throughout Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Community Insurance Group takes pride in offering a wide range of insurance carriers and products, and works hard to create a successful and viable resource our communities can depend on. We specialize in Agribusiness and Farms, Contractors, Energy Dealers, Manufacturers, Trucking, Underground Storage Tanks, Emergency Service Organizations and Volunteer Fire Departments.